Sunday 27 December 2009

Christmas, interrupted.

Well, hopefully in the next couple of days we will resume plans to travel to the far North! We actually had an absolutely lovely few days and it was a real joy to see Josh on his birthday for the first time in 15 years. I can't believe my little nephew is 29.
Being at home has meant loads of extra TV viewing which I have relished. Lots of films, the glorious David Tennant in Hamlet, catching up with DVDs.....from the ridiculous (Bruno) to the sublime (In the Loop).
I went to dad's flat today and for the first time since he died felt a real sense of peace there. I was trying to explain the idea of purgatory to my little one (rather a tricky one) when we were watching Hamlet. It is almost like dad has moved to another, more contented place, but is still here at the same time. Maybe he has moved on from purgatory.
A very hopeful link on the family tree with the Schoenlanker branch, with excited emails to and from the States. Lots of very careful work needs to be done - I need Claire or Melissa! My own rather romantic approach is not good enough, I fear.
Anyway, Cranford calls......

1 comment:

  1. I missed Hamlet. Can't say I believe in purgatory. I believe Richard went to a beautiful place once his soul left his body. I know that purgatory can either be a place of purification or torment but it is mostly now known as torment (good old Catholics). I don't truly know what I believe but I must believe something because if I didn't I wouldn't have paid a Rabbinical Student in Israel to say Kaddish for Richard for a year at The Holy Wall. Did the Schoenlankers come from Schoenlanke. I expect you know this next bit because your interest in genealogy is far beyond mine. Mine is just a lazy look on the internet. After the First Partition of Poland, the new name of the town was Schoenlanke (Germany).

    ReplyDelete